The vision of ICFOSS is to become a leading research organisation in Free and Open Source model of knowledge development thereby contributing towards sustainable development of society and to stimulate economic development in the region.
The mission of ICFOSS is to promote research and development in the area of Free and Open Source Software and the knowledge development model it puts forward.Objectives:
- Identify and quantify the political, cultural and economic benefits for India as a result of FOSS. This would not just be restricted to software but also to issues like patents, copyright, digital content, scientific publishing etc.
- Develop an action plan aimed at making India a global leader in the open source community
- Leverage the open source development model based on community, collaboration and shared ownership of intellectual resources to bridge the digital divide
- Create a road-map for open source software development for India's software export industry
- Take the lead role in identifying technologies for different applications for the government, public enterprises, educational institutions, small business, individuals and other key sectors
- Create infrastructure for support for FOSS based initiatives in different parts of the state, ensuring that any given project or intervention, in any part of the State, even a village is able to access IT support services
- When required, ensure the development of software that addresses existing gaps that are obstacles for the widespread use of FOSS
- Pilot FOSS based interventions in sectors such as governance, education, or local information publishing
- Stimulate local employment through providing support services to FOSS based
- Virtual Micro-Enterprises (VMEs), so as to enable them to start, sustain and expand operations
- Work with local, national and international institutions and networks working in the FOSS domain in order to share experiences and to learn from one other