|B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (Automobile)
Mechanical Engineering - Automobile, a branch of Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Automobile Engineering, encompasses and incorporates the elements of Mechanical, Automobile, Electrical, Electronic and Software Engineering pertaining to a Mechanical Engineer. These concepts are applied to design, manufacture and operation of mechanical as well as automotive systems, subsystems and components. Mechanical and Automotive engineers are involved in designing mechanical systems like turbines, aircraft engines, structures of ships and various power plant entities such as boilers, heat exchangers, automotive applications ranging from two wheelers to heavy duty or special purpose vehicles from the conceptualization to manufacturing. Broadly speaking, mechanical automobile engineers are differentiated into three main streams: product engineering, development engineering, and manufacturing engineering.
- Product engineers design components/systems and test them, confirming that it meets all requirements, performs the specified function, meets desired durability under specified load conditions and so on. The product should also satisfy the standards set under the Indian Standards to be used in India.
- Development engineers delve into the attributes of the various mechanical and automobile systems. They are responsible for the clearance of the systems from the desired authorities.
- 3. Manufacturing engineers determine how to manufacture, which involves the process identification and machine management.
Mechanical Engineering is one of the most thriving branches in engineering sector from which graduates are getting everlasting demands in industrial as well as research field. Automobile industry in India has witnessed a rapid growth over the last couple of decades and in the recent years it has also captured the attention of the whole world with some innovative products. It requires skilled and trained manpower with good technical knowledge. There are numerous employment opportunities for qualified professionals and they can select a career in Mechanical as well as Automobile Industry, which can lead to a bright future.
DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - AUTOMOBILE
The Dept of Mechanical Engineering- Automobile began its functioning in. With the concerted efforts extended by the faculty, we ensure that our students get additional knowledge acquisition through trainings and internships.
For this we have created Industry- Institution- linked labs, where added training is provided with the endorsement of the firm. Linkages improve the scope for job opportunities as well as updated knowledge to provide support in their future growth. The Dept takes pride in moulding prospective engineers with knowledge and work efficiency and hopes to produce more in the coming years.
The mechanical industry is continuously registering a sustained growth in the last decade due to the entry of foreign players and increased competition and demand of the products in domestic as well as international markets. Also, we have seen the growth of public sector units like ISRO, DRDO, SAIL etc which always require more work force in the area of brainstorming and working category. An engineer is trained to be a part in the aforesaid category. Therefore, all these firms are preferring engineers who can handle the requirements and be an asset to the unit. A qualified Mechanical Engineering -Automobile student will never be starving for a job as the opportunities can be grabbed with their effort, hard work and improved trainings in the specialized areas. Besides, the area of materials, combustion, improved technologies, increased use of electronic systems etc. are calling for specialized persons in their particular area (multi domain handling skills) for future enhancements where our students can find their options for job.
Career options for a graduate in Mechanical Engineering-Automobile can be broadly classified into three sub segments:
- 1. Higher studies in postgraduate level: Bright candidates with an interest for deeper learning can opt for postgraduate courses such as M. Tech, ME and MS in areas pertaining to their interest. There are a lot of universities in India as well as abroad that offer career- oriented post- graduate programmes in the specified stream.
- Job: - The student who completes his/her course in the area pertaining to the main course can opt for jobs in the following segments
- Manufacturing firms: - A professional degree holder is required in supervisory and managerial levels on the shop floor, manufacturing, assembly, logistic controls and in the Research & Development sections of a manufacturing unit.
- Supplier (Tier 1, Tier 2 etc): - The mechanical as well as automobile segment of the Indian industry is struggling to meet the requirement of the demand from the customer and so, envisages growth in the supplier level to meet their demands. The suppliers who were linked with major manufacturing companies have crossed the turnover of the main manufacturers. Therefore, the supplier level jobs are available in major job -oriented sites like naukri.com
- After sales service: - The student can opt for being a part of the after sales service of the manufacturing units as well as the supplier units to look after and suggest remedial actions for the problems observed in the customer level feedback.
- As an entrepreneur: - Every manufacturing unit prefers its supplier to be at a close vicinity to manage the immediate requirements and modifications in the plan. Manufacturers encourage a small- scale industry at their vicinity that can supply components and sub systems at the required quantity and quality. In the recent past, manufacturers themselves have been providing loans for such entrepreneurial ventures at lower interest rates which creates a win-win situation for both.